Life in Vero Beach, Florida is often a busy whirlwind of work, family, and enjoying the beautiful local scenery. With such a packed schedule, maintaining an elaborate garden might seem like a daunting task.
What if we told you that you could have a stunning yard without having to spend several hours caring for it? If this sounds too good to be true, here are just a few low-maintenance landscaping tips:
- Choose Native Plants. Native plants are adapted to the local climate and soil, requiring less water and care. Opt for Florida-friendly plants like Saw Palmetto, Florida Tickseed, or Beautyberry. At NatEv Life, LLC, we love to incorporate native plants in our low-maintenance landscaping designs.
- Install Drip Irrigation. Drip irrigation systems deliver water directly to plant roots, reducing water waste and the time spent watering. We can install a drip irrigation system along your garden beds and set a timer to automate the watering schedule.
- Use Mulch Wisely. Mulch helps retain soil moisture, suppresses weeds, and improves soil quality. Apply 2-3 inches of organic mulch around your plants and choose a mulch that complements the aesthetic of your garden, such as pine straw or shredded bark.
- Perennials Have Staying Power. Perennial plants come back year after year, eliminating the need for annual replanting. Choose perennials like Coneflower, Salvia, or Lantana, which all thrive in Florida’s climate. Space them adequately to allow for growth and reduce the need for frequent pruning.
- Limit Lawn Space. Reducing the amount of lawn space cuts down on the time and resources needed for mowing and fertilization. Replace some lawn areas with ground covers like Creeping Jenny or Sweet Potato Vine. Consider installing a small patio or deck to further reduce lawn space.
Low-maintenance landscaping doesn’t mean you have to compromise on beauty or functionality. With these tips, you can create a stunning, no fuss outdoor space. If you’d like more help creating a low-maintenance landscaping plan for our home, simply give us a call.